Coach Jim Valvano is most famous for leading North Carolina State University to the 1983 NCAA National title (they were huge underdogs in the tournament).
He was also know for his charming personality and great coaching skills.
Here are some of his most memorable quotes:
- “There are 86,400 seconds in a day. It’s up to you to decide what to do with them.”
- “To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special.”
- “Be a dreamer. If you don’t know how to dream, you’re dead.”
- “Never give up! Failure and rejection are only the first step to succeeding.”
- “I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can’t trust em.”
- “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.”
- “How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it.”
- “No matter what business you’re in, you can’t run in place or someone will pass you by. It doesn’t matter how many games you’ve won.”
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.”
*Here is the main basketball quotes page.
Do You Know Any Other Inspirational Basketball Quotes by Jim Valvano?
If you know any other motivational basketball quotes by Jimmy V, please post them in the comments section below, and I’ll add them to the list.
Also, post your favorite Jimmy V basketball quote below so we can see which is the most popular/inspiring one!