Coach John Wooden is one of the greatest coaches of all-time.
He led his UCLA team to ten NCAA national championships, winning 7 in a row at one point.
As a basketball player at Purdue, he won a National Championship and was also a 3 time All-American.
He is in the basketball hall of fame as BOTH a coach and player, which is quite a rare feat.
Here are some of his awesome quotes:
- “Never mistake activity for achievement.”
- “Success is peace of mind that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
- “Although I wanted my players to work to win, I tried to convince them they had always won when they had done their best.”
- “The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team.”
- “I always tried to make clear that basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance in comparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of life that truly wins, and that is the one that places faith in the hands of the Savior. Until that is done, we are on an aimless course that runs in circles and goes nowhere.”
- “Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.”
- “A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment.”
- “Ability is a poor man’s wealth.”
- “Young people need models, not critics.”
- “Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then.”
- “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
- “It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.”
- “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.”
- “You can’t let praise or criticism get to you. It’s a weakness to get caught up in either one.”
- “The most important key to achieving great success is to decide upon your goal and launch, get started, take action, move.”
- “Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
- “Don’t measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.”
- “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.”
- “It’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it.”
- “Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.”
- “You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.”
- “Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.”
- “Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
- “What you are as a person is far more important that what you are as a basketball player.”
*Here is the main basketball quotes page.
Do You Know Any Other Inspirational Basketball Quotes by John Wooden?
If you know any other motivational basketball quotes by John Wooden, please post them in the comments section below, and I’ll add them to the list.
Also, post your favorite John Wooden basketball quote below so we can see which is the most popular/inspiring one!