Larry Bird is one of the best basketball players that ever lived.
He played 13 seasons with the Boston Celtics, winning 3 NBA championships in the process.
He was also named the NBA regular season MVP 3 times to go along with his 12 All-Star Game selections.
He also had a head coaching job with the Indiana Pacers , where he was selected as Coach of The Year in 1998.
Here are some of his famous quotes:
- “When I was young, I never wanted to leave the court until I got things exactly correct. My dream was to become a pro.”
- “You never make any of the shots you never take. 87% of the ones you do take, you’ll miss too. I make 110% of my shots.”
- “Leadership is getting players to believe in you. If you tell a teammate you’re ready to play as tough as you’re able to, you’d better go out there and do it. Players will see right through a phony. And they can tell when you’re not giving it all you’ve got. Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It’s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That’s the only way you’re going to get respect from the players.”
- “A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.”
- “I always know what’s happening on the court. I see a situation occur, and I respond.”
- “Push yourself again and again. Don’t give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.”
- “I’ve got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.”
- “I don’t know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody – somewhere – was practicing more than me.”
- “I really don’t like talking about money. All I can say is that the Good Lord must have wanted me to have it.”
- “First master the fundamentals.”
- “When it gets down to it, basketball is basketball.”
- “It doesn’t matter who scores the points, it’s who can get the ball to the scorer.”
- “Once you are labeled ‘the best’ you want to stay up there, and you can’t do it by loafing around. If I don’t keep changing. I’m history.”
*Here is the main basketball quotes page.
Do You Know Any Other Inspirational Basketball Quotes by Larry Bird?
If you know any other motivational basketball quotes by Larry Bird, please post them in the comments section below, and I’ll add them to the list.
Also, post your favorite Larry Bird basketball quote below so we can see which is the most popular/inspiring one!