Pat Riley is considered one of the greatest NBA coaches of all-time.
As a head coach, he has led 5 teams to NBA championships (1982 , 1985, 1987, 1988 with the Lakers, and 2006 with the Miami Heat)
He also won a championship ring as a player with the 1972 Lakers team.
Here are some of his great quotes:
- “In all the research you do as a coach, studying other coaches and championship-type situations, you find that all those teams combined talent with great defense. You’ve got to stop other teams to win.”
- “There’s no such thing as coulda, shoulda, or woulda. If you shoulda and coulda, you woulda done it.”
- “It’s what you get from games you lose that is extremely important.”
- “You have no choices about how you lose, but you do have a choice about how you come back and prepare to win again.”
- “To have long term success as a coach or in any position of leadership, you have to be obsessed in some way.”
- “When you’re playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you’ll fight for the winner’s circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.”
- “People who create 20% of the results will begin believing they deserve 80% of the rewards.”
- “A champion needs a motivation above and beyond winning.”
- “A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player’s personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team.”
- “There’s always the motivation of wanting to win. Everybody has that. But a champion needs, in his attitude, a motivation above and beyond winning.”
- “Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable.”
- “There are only two options regarding commitment. You’re either IN or you’re OUT. There’s no such thing as life in-between.”
- “Being ready isn’t enough; you have to be prepared for a promotion or any other significant change.”
- “Discipline is not a nasty word.”
- “Don’t let other people tell you what you want.”
- “Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!”
- “Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better.”
- “Look for your choices, pick the best one, then go with it.”
- “Great effort springs naturally from a great attitude.”
- “Giving yourself permission to lose guarantees a loss.”
- “If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.”
- “Management must speak with one voice. When it doesn’t management itself becomes a peripheral opponent to the team’s mission.”
*Here is the main basketball quotes page.
Do You Know Any Other Inspirational Basketball Quotes by Pat Riley?
If you know any other motivational basketball quotes by Pat Riley, please post them in the comments section below, and I’ll add them to the list.
Also, post your favorite Pat Riley basketball quote below so we can see which is the most popular/inspiring one!