Phil Jackson is my favorite coach of all-time.
He has the unique ability to bring the best out of some of the best basketball players of all-time (Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaquille O’Neal, and Kobe Bryant).
Here are some motivational quotes from the “Zen Master” himself:
- “Not only is there more to life than basketball, there’s a lot more to basketball than basketball.”
- “In basketball – as in life – true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way. Of course, it’s no accident that things are more likely to go your way when you stop worrying about whether you’re going to win or lose and focus your full attention on what’s happening right this moment.”
- “Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We.”
- “Approach the game with no preset agendas and you’ll probably come away surprised at your overall efforts.”
- “Once you’ve done the mental work, there comes a point you have to throw yourself into the action and put your heart on the line. That means not only being brave, but being compassionate towards yourself, your teammates and your opponents.”
- “If you meet the Buddha in the lane, feed him the ball.”
- “The ideal way to win a championship is step by step.”
- “Like life, basketball is messy and unpredictable. It has its way with you, no matter how hard you try to control it. The trick is to experience each moment with a clear mind and open heart. When you do that, the game–and life–will take care of itself.”
- “Winning is important to me, but what brings me real joy is the experience of being fully engaged in whatever I’m doing.”
- “I gave it my body and mind, but I have kept my soul.”
- “Wisdom is always an overmatch for strength.”
- “Love is the force that ignites the spirit and binds teams together.”
- “Always keep an open mind and a compassionate heart.”
*Here is the main basketball quotes page.
Do You Know Any Other Inspirational Basketball Quotes by Phil Jackson?
If you know any other motivational basketball quotes by Phil Jackson, please post them in the comments section below, and I’ll add them to the list.
Also, post your favorite Phil Jackson basketball quote below so we can see which is the most popular/inspiring one!