How To Jump Higher

Contrary to popular belief, jumping higher is not difficult.

In fact, it is extremely easy IF you have the right knowledge and train correctly.

These articles will show you how to jump higher in a simple, step-by-step format that you can immediately implement and start seeing results.

[wps_custom_form id=0]

70 Responses to “How To Jump Higher”

1. Trevor Doge Says:

I will re-read this l8r but iv got homework, but i definetly will start working on my area of concern ( my glutes) (too much fabric in the kaboose if you know what i meen) and i will do heavy weights quickly which is like 50 pounds for little 5″10 16 year old me. Peace!!

2. chris Says:

What do you recommend for this situation
    Quick and can lift heavy weights but not explosive?

3. Josh Says:

Hey sir. I’m 5’11 with a 30 inch verticle. I am currently doing air alert. I know you really don’t like that program. I was going to just finish it. Then I thought I would implement weight training and the use of a weighted vest with my plyos. Can you offer me any assistance?

4. Josh Says:

I’m in the 3rd week and I have seen results but there are several factors. I can grab rim now but I used to do that in high school. So I probly just regained what was lost such is different than new gains. I started the program @ 190 lbs and I’m cutting down to 170 lbs. (currently 180). And finally if been running and I’m back in shape. So I’m not possitive that the program is working. But I have seen gains. I just want to ensure that I’m getting the most out of my workouts. What do you think?

• Dan Says:

Hey Josh. I think you are on the right track if you have seen gains. Just keep at it and you will achieve your goal. It’s also great that you are cutting down in weight. Great job man! Keep us updated on your success.

5. dejuan Says:

wut are some workouts for the glutes

6. Victor Says:

Dude I’m 15 and 6 feet tall and am squating 225 age isn’t an excuse.

7. andrew curtis Says:

hey dan thanks for all the great pointers, for the past week i have been reading your stuff and all about increasing your vertical, the right technique and everything about jumping all over the internet. i know all the stuff to be able to increase my vert dramatcially. i just finished my first week of my jump program i bought. its called power vertical. im sure you have heard of it, you think its a good program? im 5’6″ 130 and have about a twenty one inch vert. i have played ball all my life and always been faster than everyone strong enough to compete. i have always lifed weights. arms and chest mostly.i play for my school this year we made it to the final four in our state championship. im ready tp take my game to the next level. were going to win it all next year! im so optimistic about increasing my vert cuz my how life i have never done plyometrics til now and worked my legs out like twice! so hopefully i can increase it alot! after every plyo workout i do for the program i jump rope 400 times. and i havent been eating sweets, only eating good food and drinking alot of water, if im 5’6″ how high would i have to get my vert to to dunk ten foot? i have til november til ball season starts, is it possible i can get it that high where i can dunk?? please right back , thanks bro.

• Dan Says:

Hey Andrew. Congrats on making the Final Four! All the best in winning a state championship next season. I think that you can dramatically improve your vert especially because you haven’t really trained your legs and lower back yet. It’s also a good thing that you are eating healthy now. I also believe that you can increase your vert high enough to dunk by November. I can’t really say how much you need to gain, because it depends on your reach (how long you’re arms are) and not just your height. All the best in achieving your goal!

8. erjee Says:

what are plyos

9. Laurin Says:

Hey!whassup?i just wanted to ask u what u think about jumpsoles?i`ve been usin it for like a week and i`ve been seein gains,the problem is that my boyz r tellin me that keepin up with it could create damages on my ankle and/or even my knee!what do u think?

• Dan Says:

Wsup Laurin. I actually used the Jumpsoles a lot (but not for vertical jump improvement). I used it to rehab my knee injury. The proprioceptors are great for that! The Jumpsoles + Proprioceptors helped my knee recover faster.

10. Jarred Says:

I recently signed up for the vertical jump news letter.. cause i wanted to improve my vertical. But I had injured my right ankle a few times so my mom has made me where an ankle brace on both ankles as a precaution, but i seem to have lost like 5 inches off my vert. and now i can barely dunk. and it seems like i have to do twice the work just to keep my vert where it is… any suggestions that you can give to help me get it back???

11. Tom rodriguez Says:

How long should you take for a rest after lifting, and any exersizes for your lower back?

12. Rashawn F Says:

can you give me some exercises to increase my vertical jump throughout 12 weeks to do to? I want to start dunking like michael jordan.

13. Peter Says:

Dan,
    I am currently working on the I WILL FLY program to increase my vertical. Is this a good program?

• Dan Says:

Wsup Peter. I haven’t heard about that vert program. Give me more details and I’ll check it out for you. What are your results with it so far?

14. harpz Says:

Hi Sir, IM 6 ft 3(14 yrs. of age) and i am not able to dunk on a 10 ft dunk i need about 6-8 inches more. i use one leg to jump(left) and i really need help on jumping. currently i am doing calf raises and alot of machine exercises that target the quadriceps. i also do stair exercises. what other exercises will give me great results. i want to dunk before summer ends would that be possible.

15. Nathan Says:

Hi
    I’m Nathan. I’m 19 years old, and 6’1”. I’ve never lifted weight. I don’t have the possiblities to go to the gym( pay). Will I be able to increase my veritcal jump without going to the Gym?
    Send me your suggestions
    Thanks

16. Benson Says:

Hi Dan. I’m 5’8″,30yrs old,187lbs. a flat footed. do I have a chance to achive dunking? currently I’ll do weight lifting on my upper body. Please reply… Thanks a lot

17. bob Says:

dan there is a program called jump attack does it work

• Dan Says:

Hey Bob. That’s the one by Tim Grover right? I tried it out 5 years ago. I didn’t gain a single inch. It just had some basic weight lifting exercises along with their pictures. Unless it has been through a serious overhaul/update since then, I wouldn’t recommend it.

18. Laurin Says:

hey Dan!what do u think aba adenotrex?i don`t think it can enhance your vertical if u just sit at home and do nothing,but i think it helps for the recovering process while workin out!

19. bob Says:

dan what would you recomend

20. susy Says:

dan do how do i know that the information you are giving me is right i have never heard of you before

21. bob Says:

sorry to bother you again but i read your reply and told my friend and he was wondering what you thought of air alert

22. sportsking549 Says:

Dan i know this is a vertical jump website but i was wondering if you have any ball handling/dribbling tips

23. Patrick Says:

Is there any way I can still jump higher but not go to bed at the right time and not grtting the right nutrition?

24. Josh Says:

Hey Dan
    i live in England and play basketball for my school.Im 12 and im 5’10 so im one of the tallest. im about 3 inches from dunking the hoops but im not doing any training apart from sport and karate. What can you suggest?

25. Travers Says:

Ok I got the quickness, the strength, and quite a bit of explosion only thing is, I’m skinny and I can’t gain mass. I’m 15 and 6’6″. Doctors say I would need 3500-4000 calories a day to gain any mass. Dan do you have any tips as to how I should divide meals that have got that many calories, so I do not end up making myself sick?

26. hamid Says:

hi thank you for your notificationn . i receive your important Jumping notes. they are very useful but i havenot already found a suitable program. your introducing website dosenot open inn my country so if you mind send the program and exersices themselves to me . thank you again for your regarding.

27. D'Andre Says:

Im about to start playing school basketball this winter….i realllllyy want to jump higher but my family is unable to pay for ur prgram. Can u give me some things i could do to increase my vertical???

28. Travers Says:

D’Andre try P90X leg workouts. They hurt but they help.

29. Akash Says:

hey
    i got a question.
    im 6 feet tall and im 14 years old and im able to dunk 9 feet and 4 inches.
    i just wanted to know what would it take for me to dunk nba height.

30. jarrod Says:

im 6feet 8inches tall and im only 16 i could dunk when i was 5’10″

31. twice Says:

would like to order. have i other options besides credit cards? other words, can i just purchase the program direct to your account?

Much appreciated

32. lil mike Says:

hi dan im 5’5 and 12 years old im third tallest i can jump higher than some of my teammates cause i goot more wieght than some of them thats why i play center and i can toch the middle of the net i want to dunk before im 7th grade

33. Paul Phelps Says:

My son is 13 and 6′ 3″. He weighs 140 lbs. He can barely grab the rim. Very long legs and very thin. He is also very weak. Doctors told us he was going to be 6′ 8″ to 6′ 10. What should he do to add to his vertical?

• Dan Says:

Hello Paul. Your son seems to have lots of potential! I would start him off on a strength training program. He should perform lifts that strengthen his hamstrings, glutes, thighs, lower back and upper body as well. To simplify things, he can start with squats, deadlifts (lower body) and bench press, pull ups (upper body). These are great ‘bang-for-the-buck’ exercises that will improve his overall strength and vertical jump.

34. Austin B. Says:

Hey Dan!
    I was wondering, if you have already been doing plyo workouts for a good part of your life, and most of your jumping has come from playing basketball.
    Should you focus more on weightlifting?

• Dan Says:

Hey Austin. Sorry for the late reply. Yep, you should focus on weight training if you already have a solid base in plyometric training.

35. jimmy Says:

Dan i just got a program called m.v.p and have gotten results in the first two weeks i have a 27 in verticle so should I stick to it for 10 more weeks. If not what should i do to modify the workout to work because i can’t afford a new program right now.

• Dan Says:

Hey Jimmy. That’s great man! If it’s working for you, keep doing it… I wouldn’t modify the workouts. If it stops working, leave me another comment on the blog and we will talk about what to do next.

36. tyler Says:

Dan I have been doing the jump manual for a few weeks now. I don’t run or do anything other than the program and I was wondering if the program works as conditioning or should I start running again.

• Dan Says:

Hey Tyler. I would stay off the conditioning until you’re done with the program. Once you finish the program, you can start doing conditioning :-) The reason why I say that is because running a lot is going to reduce the results you get with the Jump Manual.

37. Charley Says:

Hey Dan, Im 5’4 and am doing air alert 3. I have probably gained about 4-6 inches and I am on week 7. However my knees hurt from the work outs. I need about 4 more inches to dunk it. My reach is 6’10. What do you think my vertical needs to be in order to dunk? Should I stick with air alert or move to something different. Also I am Flat footed, will this affect my vertical?Should I get arches? Thanks
    -Charley

• Dan Says:

Hey Charley. I think that it’s great that you’ve gained 4-6 inches, but if your knees are getting messed up I advise you to stop immediately. From my experience, the best thing to do would be to wait until you knees are completely healed before starting a new program. Once you are completely healed, I recommend you do the Jump Manual. Being flat footed should not affect your vertical (I’m also flat footed).

• Marvin Says:

Hey Charley, ignore what Dan has just said to you. The reason your knees are huring is because of your flat feet. The lack of an arch puts a huge amount of stress on your knees which is why they’re in pain. If you have orthotics, this pain will go away instantly. Your flat feet should also have increased the strength in your tibialis anterior, which is a important muscle for jumping and explosiveness. I know all this because I am flat footed as well and had a 34″ vertical in high school purely from playing basketball 5 days a week. NEVER working out or weight lifting. Had I worked out, I would have been able to dunk instead of just grab rim.

38. baller Says:

hey dan I have tried many programs and they have worked kinda i started at a 17in vert and i am up to a 27 but i seem to not be able to get over 27 i have been stuck for weeks do you have a workout that can help must be free Im low on cash right now.

39. Logan Says:

Hey dan i have decided to buy the jump manual but was wondering since i am in the middle of bball season if i should wait intill the season is over. If i should wait what can i do to improve my vertical for the last 8 weeks of the season. Please get back to me thanks.

40. tyler Says:

hey dan i have a 28 inch vertical. I used to be not flexible and I started strecthing every day and just jumping alot and i went from a 22 to 28. I was wondering since i have never really lifted weights if i have alot of potentially and if i should start focusing of strength training.

41. maxwell reed Says:

hey, i’m 5’3 and i was wondering how high of a vertical i need to dunk.

42. travis Says:

I’m 5 foot 11 inches tall. I can grab the rim but I can’t get those extra couple of inches to push me over the line. What are some work outs that focus on my lower back and hamstrings

43. Orpheus Says:

Hi, i’m 5’3 and has vertical of 36 and a weight of 50 kg. I just want to know the required vertical jump for me to dunk. Thanks.

44. Calvin Says:

I can dunk sometimes but which is better jumping off one leg or two.

45. Christian Says:

Hey I’m a little young 5′ 13 year old bu to can jump around 34-36 in. Do u think I will be able to dunk when I get older? What are some ways that I can improve my jumping?

46. Austin Says:

Hi, im the starting safety for football and power forward for my highschool im 15 yrs old im 6’1 165 lbs i run a 4.7 in the 40,but im flat footed so i cant jump high any tips?

47. Thomas Says:

Hi
    I am a 6 ft 3 14 yr old. I was wondering what would be some good exersizes to do at my gym and at home that are safe and not to expensive?
    You have some really good info but I would Prefer it if I had a real person telling me and I believe I will get better results.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 6 Things You Must Know To Jump Higher | Vertical Jump Zone - May 27, 2009

[...] Jump Higher [...]

2. 6 Simple Things You Must Know To Jump Higher | Vertical Jump Zone - June 2, 2009

[...] How To Jump Higher [...]

3. Top 5 Exercises To Run Faster | Vertical Jump Zone - January 5, 2010

[...] How To Jump Higher [...]

4. 4 Principles To Build Muscle & Jump Higher | Vertical Jump Zone - January 19, 2010

[...] How To Jump Higher [...]

5. ESPN City Slam 2008 Slam Dunk Contest | Vertical Jump Zone - February 5, 2010

[...] How To Jump Higher [...]

6. Jump Higher by Improving Vertical Jump Form | Vertical Jump Zone - April 9, 2010

[...] How To Jump Higher [...]