On this page, you’ll find a large, comprehensive list of the most inspiring quotes by famous baseball players and coaches.
I have listed them in alphabetical order to make it easier to navigate.
- “Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.”
- “The hardest thing to believe about The Fan is not that Robert De Niro is stalking somebody again but that anyone cares that much about a baseball player.”
- “Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world can’t get you off. “
- “The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen.”
- “What’s unfortunate about buying a pitcher for $12 million is that he carries no warranty.“
- “Most ball games are lost, not won.“
- “There are two theories on hitting the knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works.“
- “Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that follows an automobile.“
- “The only way to prove that you’re a good sport is to lose.“
George Bernard Shaw
- “Baseball has the great advantage over cricket of being sooner ended.“
- “My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging..“
- “The triple is the most exciting play in baseball. Home runs win a lot of games, but I never understood why fans are so obsessed with them.“
- “You know they’re not going to lose 162 consecutive games.“
James Patrick Murray
- “Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire’s eye or on the ball.“
- “Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?“
- “You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time.”
- “Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster.“
- “You always get a special kick on opening day, no matter how many you go through. You look forward to it like a birthday party when you’re a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.“
- “Baseball is drama with an endless run and an ever-changing cast.“
- I went through baseball as “a player to be named later.”
- “One thing you learned as a Cubs fan: when you bought you ticket, you could bank on seeing the bottom of the ninth.”
- “Baseball happens to be a game of cumulative tension but football, basketball and hockey are played with hand grenades and machine guns.“
- “Baseball life is a tough life on the family.“
- “It’s a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.“
- “Baseball is a public trust. Players turn over, owners turn over and certain commissioners turn over. But baseball goes on.“
- “Other sports play once a week but this sport is with us every day.“
- “The integrity of the game is everything.“
- “Fans don’t boo nobodies.“
- “I don’t want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it.“
- “People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
- “Don’t look back. Something might be gaining on you.“
- “The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back.”
- “Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.“
- “I see great things in baseball. It’s our game – the American game.“
- “Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing.“
- “Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.“
- “You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.”
*Here is the main sports quotes page.
Do You Know Any Other Inspirational Baseball Quotes?
If you know any other motivational baseball quotes, please post them in the comments section below, and I’ll add them to the list.
Also, post your favorite baseball quote below so we can see which is the most popular/inspiring one!