Jumpers Knee (Patellar Tendonitis)

IMPORTANT:

We are about to release a program that will help you permanently treat your patellar tendonitis (jumpers knee).

Enter your name and email below to join the early notification list.

We will email you as soon as the program is finished.

—————————————————————————————————–

Injuries are never fun for any athlete.

For jumping athletes like those involved in basketball, volleyball, and track & field, the most common injury is jumpers knee a.k.a patellar tendonitis.

What Is Jumpers Knee (Patellar Tendonitis)?

Jumpers knee occurs when the patellar tendon (located just below your knee cap) swells up due to inflammation.

The patellar tendon is very important in sports because it connects your quads to your knees and helps you propel yourself off the ground when you jump.

It also acts as a stabilizer muscle in the leg, ensuring that you remain balanced as you jump or move around.

The patellar tendon therefore comes under a lot of stress, especially by athletes in sports that involve lots of jumping.

Signs & Symptoms

Tell-tale signs of jumpers knee include:

• Pain right below the knee cap.
  • Swelling of the actual patellar tendon.
  • Difficulty and pain while running or jumping.

Causes of Jumpers Knee

The most common causes of patellar tendonitis are:

• Excessive playing of sports on hard surfaces (e.g. outdoor basketball courts made of concrete).
  • Increased training frequency.
  • Increased training intensity.
  • Training or playing in worn out shoes or shoes without good cushioning.

How To Prevent Jumpers Knee

To prevent yourself from developing patellar tendonitis, do the following:

1. Always warm up before workouts.

• Warming up before workouts is one of the best ways to prevent injuries of any kind.

2. Always stretch your muscles.

• Perform dynamic stretches before workouts and static stretches after workouts.
  • When it comes to preventing jumpers knee, make sure you stretch your quads, hamstrings, and calves very well.

3.Strengthen the muscles around your patellar tendon

• In order to prevent jumpers knee, you need to strengthen the muscles surrounding your patellar tendon.
  • Strengthen your quads, hamstrings, calves, and shins to minimize muscle imbalances in the leg and prevent tendonitis.

4. Train on appropriate surfaces

• Always try to train on soft surfaces like grass or training surfaces made out of thick carpet or rubber.
  • This will minimize the impact and shock on your knees while you train.

How To Cure Jumpers Knee

There are several ways to treat patellar tendonitis:

1. Icing

• Icing your knees after workouts is a great way to reduce inflammation and speed up your recovery.

2. Strengthen your shin muscles

• Most athletes never train their shins and usually have a huge muscle strength imbalance between their calves and shins.
  • By training your shins to become stronger, you will reduce muscle imbalances, improve your leg strength, and recover from tendonitis faster.
  • Most gyms are equipped with machines to strengthen your shins, but there is one simple exercise you can perform without any equipment.
  • The exercise is called elevated toe walks.
  • To perform it, simply walk on your heels (you will feel it in your shins).
  • This is a simple and effective way to strengthen your shins.

3. EMS (Electronic Muscle Stimulation)

• Many college sports teams use EMS to treat patellar tendonitis.
  • I used it while I played college ball, and it was very effective as a treatment for jumpers knee.

4. STOP playing your sport and wait for full recovery.

• The best way to cure jumpers knee is to stop any physical activity and let time heal your injury.
  • Many athletes never get rid of their tendonitis because they never give it enough time to fully recover.
  • Take as many weeks off as you need to completely get rid of the injury before returning to action.

5. If Symptoms persist, seek medical advice!

• It is always in your best interest to seek professional help when you are injured.
  • A doctor will know exactly what you need to treat the injury.

Conclusion

Jumpers knee is one of the most frustrating exercises for jumping athletes.

It makes it extremely difficult and painful to run and jump.

Always make sure you take the necessary steps to prevent this irritating injury, and if you still happen to get injured, visit a doctor and treat it accordingly.

Once you are completely injury-free and ready to train again, use the Jump Manual. It will really help you improve your vertical jump.

228 Responses to “Jumpers Knee (Patellar Tendonitis)”

1. Kevin Says:

Hey guys I don’t know if its actually jumpers knee that I have but my knee cap hurts and its like on the left corner side. I’m really worried about this because I have a 10k race on July 29. I already tried resting for a week and it came back today when I was running, I was wearing a knee strap too. I really need some help please.

• Jason Says:

It sounds like you have IT band problems. Got to any running store and ask for a foam roller and roll you IT bands a lot throughout the day. It will hurt a lot, it will get better in a few days.

• Rob Says:

Hi Kevin… pain on the left corner of your knee cap sounds like you have some synching issues between the patellar and the femur. It could be that your foot is not loading correctly and your knee cap is being smashed against the femur (thigh bone). Have you noticed any issues with your foot? You will also want to check the hip too because if that is holding the thigh bone back from ´dancing with the patellar´ again you will get pain. This can be resolved though :)

2. justin Says:

hello im not sure if i have tendonitis in my right knee, but everytime i try to pitch or hit in baseball my right knee always develops a sharp pain and i would like some immediate help

3. Gina Says:

Hi everyone, I have a 13 year old daughter who has been complaining of her right knee for some time now, the pain is comming from in front of her knee cap, I say its growing pains, she says it could possibly be jumpers knee. She is a very active girl, played soccer most of her life, but hasnt in a couple of years. Lately she has been riding her bike everyday, especially up hill because of where we live. What do you think this could be? Advise would be helpful. Thanks everyone

• Dan Says:

Hi Gina. Is there any swelling? That’s a good indication as to whether it’s jumpers knee. Also, unless she’s currently participating in “jump-heavy” sports like volleyball, soccer, or basketball, I doubt she would have jumpers knee (it’s hard to get it just from riding bikes). You may be right, and it may just be growing pains, but just to be safe, I think she should see a doctor.

• anant Says:

but dan wat i feel is that gina’s daughter can have jumper’s knee..true that riding a bike may nt result in jumper’s knee..but read closely..she wrote..her daughter rides it uphill..that really causes the tenders to work out a lot..increasing the pressure over it..and causing jumper’s knee..as we all know the main cause of jumper’s knee is when the rate at which there is pressure on the knee..is more than the rate at which the knee’s healing mechanism works..so well it wld be better if she stops activiteies for little while..and moreover uses ice atleast 4 times dialy for 20 mins each..and fianlly always do streatching before any physical activity..i may not be a doctor of somesort..but i sure am going thru this pain..

Hi Gina, Has your daughters knee improved? Rob

• Mike gruba Says:

In a young athlete you must consider traction epiphositis like osgood schlatters (at tibial insertion) or Sinding-Larsen-Johansson syndrome at inferior pole of patella. Still very possible that it is just jumpers knee but a good sports med doc and diagnostic ultrasound will get you your answer. Treatment very similar between all of those diagnostic options.

4. Christian Says:

The only way your going to get rid of jumpers knee is by going to see a Physio, it will take a minimum of 1 month deep and I mean deep finger massage along the shins up the patella tendon and quads to break up scar tissue and if this doesn’t hurt you then your not going to get anywhere fast. No pain no gain.

5. Hector Ruiz Says:

Hey guys,
    I am reposting because I am really pleased with what I am doing and I want to share.

Old post
    “I am using the following
    Patellavator knee orthosis” which was recommended by a sports doctor.
    And I am taking “Advanced ALLFLEX” which I found by accident
    I started playing soccer at least twice a week and my knee doesn’t even bother me”.

Update:
    After having taken it for 40 days (80 pills) I stopped taking the “Advanced Allflex” to check how my knee was doing. I did this because, considering that Allmax (Allflex manufacturer) claims that the supplement helps with the healing but also alleviates the pain; I wanted to know whether my knee was healing or the pain was just alleviated.

After I stopped the supplement, I kept playing with the same intensity (at least twice a week) and I have noticed that my knee bothers me a bit (not always), but does not hurt. I also noticed that my patellar tendon doesn’t hurt when I touched it (just under the kneecap)(it used to hurt before). I am planning to start taking the supplement again for another period of time to see if my knee stops bothering for good.
    Good luck all,

Hector

6. Adrian Says:

I have a sharp ish pain below my knee cap but not RIGHT below it on the tendon there. it is more like on the bone and i am kind of developing a bump there. i play basketball and it hurts a lot after i am done and some while i am playing. it’s on the shin bone at the top. my friend has these giant bumps there too and they hurt alot and it is a disease that the doctors say either to wait till he stops growing or they could inject some gel stuff. but i was wondering what pain this could be right below my knee cap and tendon, also how can i make it better. my dad says to do a lot of squats and such to strengthen my knees and legs. can you help me with what to do about this?

• Adrian Says:

p.s. sharp pain is on front top of my tibia by the way

• dogma Says:

Adrian you probably have Osgood-Schlaughter’s disease and no amount of squats are going to help it. Squats are good for strengthening the quada and hips, but I’m betting leg weakness is not your issue. It occurs when the patellar tendon pulls hard on the Tibial (big lower leg bone) attachment. Quit playing basketball for a few weeks and ice it for 20 minutes several times a day. Stretch you upper and lower leg muscles(front and back well) daily during that break. Make sure you do hold each stretch for at least a count of 15, do each stretch 2 times. Then when you return to basketball remember to stretch before and after activity and to ice it afterwards.

• Rob Says:

Hi Adrian, it sounds like you may be developing Osgood-Schlatter disease where you start to get a painful boney point where the patellar tendon attches to the tibia. The problem is not coming from a lack of strength in the knee but a lack of coordination between the femur, patellar and the tibia. they are not getting along well together and the result being that the patellar tendon is being pulled on too hard to when the leg is loading. I studied with Michael Jordens physical therapist and he had a nice saying… “The knee is caught between the foot and hip with no where to go and nowhere to hide”… what he means by this is that when something goes wrong with the knees best buddies – the foot and the hip – the knee is left on his own to do all the work and the knee starts hurting as a warning sign to you that he is in trouble. So you need to look away from the pain at what is actually CAUSING the issue. Keep an eye out for the Free 7 day course that Dan is offering soon. let me know how things go :) Rob

• christopher oberg Says:

Hi good evening I am inquiring about knee pain mainly when I lock. Out my left knee at times gives out.

Lying in bed just flexing my quad my knee cracks I think my patella is out of alignment no swelling occurs when I run my right leg feels longer maybe its combination with my hips

• Benm Says:

Hey if you haven’t been told yet that is osgood-schlatters disease. I went through that as a teen also. I still have the large lumps below both my knees. There are alot of places on the Internet to get more info on this.

7. Ashvin Says:

Hello Everyone,

I am an Argentine Tango dancer and teacher. The popular misconception is that this is an easy walking dance. Wrong! This is about as intense as a professional sport. I’ve had a host of problems: Knee, Lower Back, Gluteal muscle, IT Band, you name it.

My experience has forced me to admit that TECHNIQUE is everything. So if you’re a dancer or athlete and have pain of any kind, it means your technique is not good enough (along with attendant strength of big structures such as Glute max, Quads or Obliques). So pay attention to the slightest pain and address the way you’re doing your activity. Chances are you’re causing the pain yourself.

• Rob Says:

Hi Ashvin, great post and I agree about technique being super important. However eye, dental, feet and a whole other group of possible causes can create dysfunction in the way someone moves. These issue need to be reprogrammed out of the person using subconsious drivers… as in they must not be consiously thinking about it.

By the way I love Tango and it is super demanding physically :)

8. kelsie Says:

hi everyone

my 13 year old daughter has been complaning that her left knee hurts on the right side of the knee cap.it hurts her when she plays basketball and after. also when she bends down it makes a cracking sound like velcrow.
    any ideas whats wrong?

9. Rashon Says:

Which is better jump manual or Freak jump technique?

• Dan Says:

It’s hard to say because they focus on totally different areas. Jump Manual makes you jump higher by getting you stronger and more explosive. On the other hand, Freak Jump Technique Reloaded makes you jump higher by improving your jumping technique. They both work very well, and you should get both if you can. If you’re tight on cash, start with the one you need more. For example, if you are already strong and explosive, get Freak Jump Technique Reloaded and if you already have great technique, get the Jump Manual.

10. Rashon Says:

Have you heard of the program DUNKNOW it cost more than both jump manual and freak technique and is used by D1 universities would you do a review on it if so?

11. jessica Says:

i was playing baketball on thursday and to keep the girls for scoreing i was backpudding and my knee has hurtever sceen that and it is right bellow my knee cap and it is so much pain when i walk and just sitting. i have been iceing it for5 days and been take alive. and when i walk to fells like my knee is being pushed together. she if u have any idea please reply

12. jessica Says:

p.s. also the ice and alive is not helping

13. Jerry Lewis Says:

If you don’t think it’s a problem because it only hurts at the beginning of a workout, you’re wrong. Jumpers Knee can quickly go from a nagging injury to really severe pain.

14. Joey Says:

I have discomfort in my right knee after my sftball games. I am 30 and weigh about 180. I play softball 3 times a week, all turf. I recently played a tournament, 5 games in one day on dirt field, grass outfield, and after it ended and the next day my knee was completely fine. I stretch before each game, but it just seems that on weekdays the turf is killin my knee. It is a new turf field I play on 2 days a week, and other games are on college turf field. The college turf does not bother me as much, I am not sure why. The pain is right under knee cap and is fairly sensitive, just as well the bone under my knee cap is too, sort of like a small ball bone if that makes sense. any ideas on how to ease my knee discomfort?

15. justin Says:

Yeah, i’ve had this for 2 years from soccer. I dont know what is it comes in both knees or single knee on the sides. It only hurts when i take a step. But when i run it completely restrics me from plaiyng. I’m on a top team in america and if i dont get this fixed it could limit my chances for a scholarship .

16. Tricia Says:

I was playing my second soccer of the day and then I started feeling a sharp pain in my knee. There was no distinct movement that brought this pain on (i.e. contact, falling down). I don’t play any jumping sports (primarly soccer twice a week) but my injury sounds like this jumpers knee injury as I feel the pain mostly when I jump. I can run about 90% of my regular speed without it hurting. Do you think this could be jumper’s knee? If so, how long would you suggest not playing soccer if so? Would riding a stationary bike be okay if I don’t feel pain while riding?

• Dan Says:

Hey Tricia. Yes, it could be jumpers knee. Is the front of your knee swollen (i.e. is your patellar tendon swollen)? I would stop playing soccer until the pain is completely gone, if you can. Also, it’s ok to ride the stationary bike while you heal up.

17. Jay Says:

I hurt my knee about a year ago runing the bases in softball. I had to checked out and they said I had a small tear in my Patella. I couldn’t afford the PT even with insurance. So I tried a little on my own and stayed away from sports. I can run pretty good again with a think knee brace on. Doesn’t seem to hurt near as bad. I tried to jump rope tonight and I couldn’t do it without pain. Is there anything I can do to jump again. I miss playing Volleyball… I used to have a killer vertical..

18. Patrick Says:

Hey everyone! I have a question and I need an answer fast. If you can reply asap, please do- it’ll help me A LOT. I’m 15 and my knee has been having this pain lately. I went to Europe this summer and couldn’t run due to crazy drivers. I come back into my Cross Country team, which is one of the best in the nation. And so me, being the dumb varsity kid I am decided to start doing excessive running. The 1st day I had trouble doing a 30minute run at a 8:00 mile pace. A week 1/2 later, I’m doing 8 1200 loops at 5:30 mile pace and under with 2 minute rests in between. And after those, my knee has been starting to ache. My coach is getting quite mad because all his sophmore boys are being lazy or aren’t into it. I’ve been icing every day for the past 3 days, and its getting better, much better. However, it seems that every time I do a workout and am done, it starts to hurt. Would any of you know what it is? I think its just extremely sore and inflamed due to the work I’ve been making it go through after not running for a month. On the other hand, I can be way wrong and could be on the verge of injuring myself. Please help, thank you!

19. Alex Says:

hi i have patellar tendonitis because i play volleyball all year round and soccer too. i just wanted to say that for volleyball i use kneepads actually called patella digs and they help!

20. Ivan oropeza Says:

Hey I dont think my problem is the same one as the people who has posted this becuse they got it all of a sudden playing sports but I got injured a differnt way, I hope you can help, I was playing a soccer game & some guy hit me on my knee, with his knee, I tryied to walk it out but the pain was to much I just went home a went to sleep I woke up & my knee got really swollen i cant put eny wait on it , I cant bend or run , & wen I try to walk it sounds out loud like its about to crack or brake, its been like that for 2 days & im starting to get woorried, wat can I do?

21. David Says:

Hi, I recently injured my knee on a skateboard where I jumped and landed about four feet down, and landed on my feet but felt quick sharp pain that made it difficult to walk for a few days. – For, the most part it went away, but I was afraid i tore my ACL. When I got it check out in a free clinic I received an Xray an they claimed I was fine. However, couldn’t explain to me any reason I would see the swelling or original pain. SO, I took it easy the next few weeks till today I went wakeboarding and took it light. However, in no activity out of my normal routine the pain came back and so did the swelling. It’s not a serious pain, more like a tightness, or soreness and I only really feel it now, a few hours later when I fully bend or fully straighten my knee. I am only concerned if this means it will not heal and will become chronic and I am unable to snowboard this coming winter. Could Jumper’s knee be what I have? How I can I be sure if it is or not? I have no health insurance and really can’t afford doctors unless absolutely necessary. All the impacts I felt today and during the original accident have been felt by my other knee without any problems whatsoever.

22. Laurie Says:

My daughter, 12 years old, is a figure skater and plays basketball. About 3 years ago, while on a break from ice, she crossed her leg over the other and locked her knee in place. Very painful and crying, instructed by a coach, using gravity, popped it back into place. I took her to the hospital but the doctor said not to worry about it. From time to time over the next years, she’d complain that it felt like it might lock again. Two weeks ago, sitting in the hallway in school, she locked it again. Remembering what the coach had said years before, with assistance of a teacher, stood up and allowed gravity to pop it back. Less than a week later, while on the ice doing backwards hysroblading, locked it in when she was trying to rise up from a deep knee bend. Same left knee every time. I have taken her to the doctor, have gotten xrays taken and are awaiting for the “what next”. She’s very active and does not want to STOP doing what she loves, but she is also very apprehensive in doing anything that requires her knee to bend for fear of it happening again. I know that it is in pain when it is locked and she experiences some pain following the pop for a day. I do not notice any swelling..at least not really noticeable swelling. Is there anything that might be able to help her in the meantime, while waiting for what next. The doctor is considering sports thearapist as well as physio.

23. Robert M Says:

Hey, after everyday i need to walk to school which is 15 minutes away which isnt that bad, but i get intense pain just below both my knee caps and pain in my calves. Also when i play a sport like football i need to stop and sit out every other play because of intense pains in my knees. What should i do and what do you think it is?

24. ELS Says:

Hey. I have this sharp shooting pain in both inner corners of my knee. I have been to an occupational therapist twice, and countess physical therapy appts. I can’t walk up the stair without my knee hurting. It hurts to run, and I am worried that when I play basketball this winter that I could tear something? I don’t know what I can do to stop this pain, but if anyone could help, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

• ouchhh Says:

You should:
      Ice often
      look up exercises or do your PT exercises at least 3 times a week
      maybe take a month off of physical activity? It didn’t help me but i know countless scenarios where it did.

25. Cameron Adams Says:

Hey.I’d really know if I have patella tendinitis. Yesterday I was playing basketball and went for a dunk and made it and came down I didn’t feel anything then I started to walk and my left knee started to hurt really bad. When I stand up the right side is swelling and I poke it and it’s really tender. I iced it twice that yesterday and it still hurts… Any help guys? What do I need to do?

26. Dominique Says:

I’m not sure if I have Jumpers Knee, but I have recently felt some serious pain right below my knee cap, on my upper shin. I can pinpoint exactly where the pain is coming from and it’s also very tender. When I kneel, or squat it hurts, and also when I walk, run, jump, walk up stairs (In my house), dance, etc. I recently joined a dance team 2 weeks ago. But in June I quit gymnastics (Of 9 years) due to a back injury, but I never had a knee injury while doing gym. It really hurts, and started hurting when I woke up today. By the way I am 14 and a freshman. Any help?

• Rob Says:

Hi Dominique, sorry to hear about your knee pain. You need to get your hips and feet to start working well… both in mobility and stability in all 3 planes. the knee is caught between these two guys and when they stop working its the knee that hurts( its not really the knees fault:).. these two body parts will also be causing your back pain so make sure to start looking into them. You will get alot out the course I created with Dan… it really works these 2 areas hard :)

cheers Rob

27. ouchhh Says:

I’m 15 years old and i’ve had extreme patella tendonitis in both knees for 5 years and it keeps getting worse and worse. Anyone who is reading this thinking they have tendonitis, go straight to a doctor. I waited a few months until it was unbearable and I think I waited too long. I took months off of serious competitive gymnastics (20+ hrs a week) just like the doctor advised, I went to a year of intense physical therapy-no results, I’ve done countless exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles, and after 2 years of agonizing pain I even quit the sport I loved. My knees are still extremely painful and I have basically ruined my life, not being able to do the sports I want, activities that normal teens do, and it even is too painful to walk to classes in school everyday. The only solution is surgery (decided by 4 different specialized orthopedists)

Basic message: If you have ANY symptoms and/or pain go to the doctor straight away and get help. When you get help, FOLLOW IT. Otherwise you may be stuck with it.

28. Jen Says:

hey guys im a soccer player and i play high school varsity. i get pain below my knee when i run and ive been running slower. ive noitced this for about 6 monthes but i dont want to take time off from soccer.i just had a recent injury where i jumped then planted my foot and my knee was hit and the knee cap like moved around. i can walk but it hurts and its a little swollen.
    im afraid of what a doctor mite tell me.
    what should i do?

• Rob Says:

hey Jen, definately get it checked by a doctor and maybe get a second opinion… its probably nothing but if it is you want to get it sorted sooner rather than later. when things swell up you want to get checked for any structural things going in the knee.
      cheers Rob

29. Rosie Says:

Hey everyone,
    I got patella tendinitis 4 years ago in both knees and since I tried to play my sport (soccer) on it it worsened so much so I had to take a few months off as well as do physical therapy, etc. Three years ago it bothered me again but not enough to stop. Since then, I joined a swim team as well as soccer, lacrosse and skiing (other sports I play) and after swimming, it always feels better. Apparently it loosens the muscles or something and also strengthens the knees and legs without putting pressure on them so that is great. As long as I am swimming, my knees barely bother me. Even if I swim during the summer my knees seem to stay strong enough through the year til the next summer. So anyone who has try opportunity to swim who has patella tendinitis should try it as it really helped me. Also I would recommend taking ibuprofen or other anti swelling medications as it really helps if your knees are swelling because of patella tendinitis. Hope this helps. I wish I knew this all along.
    Rosie

• Rob Says:

Hi Rosie, thanks for your tip on swimming, I agree swimming is really helpful to massage the knees and keep the legs flexible. Anti imflammatries need to be used in moderation so I would be careful using too much of these type of medications as they are very hard on the stomach and may be linked to leaky gut syndrome… which can cause the abdominal wall to work less efficiently.
      cheers Rob

30. Ryan Says:

hey i play basketball every week and my knees are killing me i have tendonitis in both of them and it has been about a year i have tried everything and it will not go away any thoughts?

• Rob Says:

Hi Ryan, try getting a tennis ball and rubbing the underside of you feet as you put a little weight on the ball. look for sore points in the feet and gently rub them. This will mobilize your feet and get them to work a little better as shock absorbers. The feet are really helpful (or unhelpful) to the knees.
      cheers Rob

31. Jennifer Says:

Hi. About 11 years ago I had a knee surgery on my right knee that involved moving the front tendon of my knee over and pinning it elsewhere on the bone to keep my kneecap from sliding off to the side. Currently that spot where it is pinned is VERY painful-I think the tendon hurts too (hard to tell with that much pain, just what exactly hurts). It is swollen there too. It hurts to walk, bend it, or leave it straight. I have plantar fasciitis in my feet and the right foot has been hurting quite badly lately. I have noticed that along with my sore knee I have had a sore hip and a pinched sciatic nerve on the right side too. This leads me to believe that because of my sore foot I have been walking off balance and have irritated everything in my right leg-especially my knee. If I force myself to walk normally, most of the pain is gone. My knee is still sore but I think it is going to need some time to heal? I have also been doing some jogging lately too on the hard floor as opposed to the trampoline where I had been previously jogging in place (to be kind to my joints-especially my knee). Does this sound like a possible reason for my knee pain? Any suggestions as to what I can do? I feel like the pain is almost crippling.

• Rob Says:

Hi Jennifer, wow that sounds like a lot of pain your experiencing. I would recommend stopping jogging for the time being. If your doing it for weight management there are much better ways than jogging to stay in shape and jogging is a nightmare on the knees. have you checked your knee out with the doctor?

its possible that your feet were the cause of the knee problems right from the start but I would only be guessing as I haven’t seen you. for exercise(after being cleared by your doctor) I would swim and walk and do circuits that place no pressure on the knees.

also make sure your diet is clean and you are drinking plenty of water as this (in my experience of working with athletes) has a huge effect on plantar fasciitis and pain in the body. let me knwo how you get on :) cheers Rob

32. Michael carr Says:

hey i have a small bump below my knee it dosent hurt that much.. its more like a strain of my whole knee. It only does it off and on or when im standing real long or a day after a sport i played. Do you think its jumpers knee. i triple and long jumed in high school and plan on doing both in college.

• Rob Says:

Hi Michael, is it a boney bump below your knee? any pain or discomfort in the knees is a symptom that there is something not quite working properly in the body… if the pain is in the knee then you need to start looking after your feet and making sure your hips have enough flexibility. they are like the best friends of the knee but when they go missing it is the knee that will ring the alarm bells … cheers Rob

33. Hamed Says:

I dont hve any injure or heart but i have only sound and my knee some one said u did handpractice plase help how i can treat my knee sound when i standup the sound found and my knee

34. Tom P. Says:

Hey guys,

I am 27 years old, and recently i have implemented squats in my workout. From mon-wed after work I play baskteball at the local gym. Recently i have noticed, that after these long basketball sessions my left knee begins to swell on the inner portion beside the knee cap. I also cannot fully bend my knee back in order to complete a stretching routine. I can try and bend my left knee back towards my back but it gets really tight on the outter portion right next to my knee cap. I am wondering if this is caused by the squatting I am doing now, the increased time spending playing basketball, or if there is a structural issue. Let me make this clear, I am still able to play basketball, but once I play past a certain amount of time, the swelling occurs and it becomes hard to move around at good speeds. Please someone help diagnose the issue! I am really getting worried at this point. I feel that if i try and pull my knee back as far as I would like it to go that something would pop.

• Matthew Says:

Tom, I will tell you this. I am 29 years old and have had similar problems. I also played basketball and did a lot of squatting during a CrossFit workout program. When I played basketball, I could only play for a limited amount of time before my knee felt sore. However, I did not have any swelling in the knee. The doctor diagnosed me with patellar tendonitis and told me that full squats are one of the leading causes of patellar tendonitis. Read my post below for further details. If I were you, I would go see an orthopedic surgeon.

• Rob Says:

Hey Tom, have you got that checked out by a doctor. if you have swelling it would be wise to get it checked out. I would also eave the squats alone for the time being as if you have any assymetries in your body the squats could be pushing you into movements that your body doesn’t like. once you have had it checked by a doctor try working on strengthening your feet and keeping them flexible… you could also try bare foot running on grass which is extremely good for improving the biomechanics of the lower leg. cheers Rob

35. matthew Says:

i have pain just below the knee cap i jump alot jump on wall run along jump of onto concrete jum from sofa to floor (get short pain after)jump sofa to floor over 25cm long of toys(pain again)

is there anything to do
    matthew aged 10

• Rob Says:

Hi Matthew… when you jump and land your feet act like shock absorbers… when they don’t absorb the shock well you will feel pain in the knees. are your feet very high arched and rigid or are they collapsed in? Rob

36. Jill Says:

Hi I think I have patellar tendonitis.I am scared to tell my mom because she will not believe me.what should I do?it hurts really bad…thanks

• Catherine Says:

Tell her. She may end up believing you but you never know unless you ask. or, if you do a sport talk to the trainer or to your coach, maybe they can offer advice and maybe even a solution

• Rob Says:

Hey Jill, if you have patellar tendonitis you need to try to rest from doing the exercises that cause you pain. I would ask her for advice on what to do for the pain you are feeling… if she cant help then google for some stretching exercises for your hips and feet and maybe ask one of your friends or someone at school for advice… people like to help others :)

37. Zach Says:

Hey, Realy need to no how and what to do to get rid of this! Been out of football a year also spent grands for help! And nothing has worked! Both knees are bad and am only 22 need help what do I do?

• Rob Says:

Hey Zach, sorry to hear that your knees are keeping you from playing football. your knees are being caught between either the feet not working properly or your hips not working properly or BOTH. Tell me a little bit more about your symptoms… cheers Rob
      P.S. you definately want to get on the course I am doing with Dan… it will be really helpful to you.

38. Elehandro Says:

Would riding my bicycle help me with my jumpers knee?

• Rob Says:

Hi Elehandro, I have seen quite a few people have good results with bicycle I think mainly because it pumps the knee and keeps the joint healthy. The two most important things to focus on with knee pain are the hips and feet… you need to keep them mobile, flexible and strong.

39. tammy Says:

Hi,Can someone help me please, i’ve been doing zumba for 10 months and at least 3 days a week and like 2 weeks ago my shins started hurting, does anyone know any cures and what it is and why it would hurt? Thanks….

• Rob Says:

Hi Tammy, one of the main culprits in shin splints is the feet are not loading properly. are you feet very high arched or more flat and collapsed? Rob

40. Matthew Says:

Firstly, I did have a lateral meniscus tear approximately 7 years ago. An orthopedic suregeon performed arthroscopic surgery and it was fine for 7 or 8 years. More recently, I was performing CrossFit training for approximately 10 months, and I developed patellar tendonitis. This was diagnosed by the same orthopedic surgeon that performed my surgery 8 years ago. I have taken pain killers perscribed by the orthopedia surgeon and rested my knees for an extensive period of time. 8 months after the training I still have the pain. Furthermore, the orthopedic surgeon took an X-ray and there are no tears in the knee. I am about to start physical therapy. However, does anyone have any further suggestions. I am tired of living my life with being able to play basketball, run, etc.???? Please advise…any input is greatly appreciated.

• Rob Says:

Hi Matthew, you need to find out why you have patellar tendonitis… the knee is rarely at fault in these cases but is simply caught between the foot and knee that are not working together. I would look for a physical therapist who has trained under Gary Gray and is a GIFT fellow like myself. They will be able to study your movement and find out the cause instead of simply masking it with pain killers. good luck Rob

41. Big Fat Pauly Says:

The point here is that I’m no longer fat as I once was through vigorous exercise. The problem arose when I was using an extended walking route which involved a very steep hill. Ascending the hill was a task in itself; the descent found me very tired, which resulted in me allowing my feet to strike the ground at a time when the downward inclination of the pavement caused a longer falling distance. A month or two into this new route, I started having some non-painful discomfort directly under the edge of my (my right-hand leg) patella. I felt as if something was not right; as if it were somehow slightly misaligned and slightly moveable in a way I didn’t like. I’m sure you all know how motivating a goal can be and I refused to give my walks a break; a lapse in judgement I would regret. One night the joint started feeling tight in general; I stopped in a pizzeria to rest and eat. About 10 minutes later a sharp pain erupted from the (my) right-hand side of the patella, concentrated at the point of union between the tibia and femur; the soft area just under the patella. I limped home and recovered a great deal since, but the pains are still there. The damage my stubbornness did is rendering me unable to work.

• Big Fat Pauly Says:

Okay, I can walk again. If I stay on an NSAID for the work day, I feel minimal discomfort; I’m a package handler for UPS so I need to be on my feet most of the day!

42. Hannah Says:

Hey,

My volleyball season ended about three weeks ago, I let my body rest for a week and then began p90x, I have completed this program before and loved it so I was intending to complete the full three months again,the second day was plyometrics; I felt fine during the workout, my legs were a little tight but nothing I havent worked out through before,the next day I noticed swelling in my left knee above my kneecap; and anytime i would stand up or sit down I would have a sharp pain in my kneecap. The pain was almost unbarable and made me not want to make that ‘squating’ motion, also it was very painful to walk up the stairs. Anyways, that sort of put an end to what I thought would be a great three months, I have given my knee two weeks to heal after being told that what I have is bursitis by our school trainer and not to worry it would be better soon, well it has been two weeks, I havent been noticing anymore pain standing up sitting down or walking up stairs, but this evening I went for a 1 mile run, I am an avid runner 1 mile would usually seem like nothing to me but right around the half mile mark my knee was developing the sharp pain, it also feels like my kneecap sort of wiggles up and down(like its loose) while i run, eventually the pain moved up the outside of my leg and in my groin region making it very difficult to continue so I stopped at a mile and now have swelling once again.

I am hoping to run a marathon this spring and really want to take care of this issue ASAP!
    Thank you all!
    Hannah

43. Sookie Says:

Great page you got here.
    4 months ago I landed on my knees at full flexion and 20 mins later it started hurting sharply and continued aching through rest. A month later my stupid physio diagnosed me with a meniscus sprain and got me to do weight bearing hamstring exercises and squats. I couldn’t walk the next day and it’s only been getting worse.. I cut back my activity and got an MRI which showed grade 1 mcl and pcl sprain with fat pad impingement and a mild tibial bone bruise.
    Another doctor since has also diagnosed me with a meniscus tear.
    My VMOs are wasted since I can’t weight bear at full flexion- my question is what causes knee pain and instability when weight bearing on the balls of your feet ? (tip toes)

I can’t do stairs, step ups, walking backward. I did this for 5 minutes the other day and had sharp pain on the tibial tuberocity where hoffas syndrome pain is. Walking aggravates it and physio is treating it like fat pad impingement. Jumping and running out of the question. Aching anterior medial pain after extension stretches, at rest in bed, and sitting..will I ever be able to walk again? I am 23 :/

Thanks

44. Rick Says:

I started doing jump work out about 7 months ago i started to feel jumpers knee but didnt know what it was and kept jumping it got so bad When training I couldn’t even stand up my knees would cramp up I took 1 month off and it almost didn’t do anything now its basketball season and it still hurts just to squat what should I do I ice and everything

• Rob Says:

Hey Rick, have you got it checked out by a medical professional? If you haven’t I would do that first. If there is no medical problem I would work on the flexibility in your feet and hips… these two areas often stop the knee from doing what it is good at…. which is absorbing shock :) Rob

45. Rick Says:

It’s very sensitive to the touch also I can’t crawl on my knees is it possible if it was healed I could jump higher because i really need to get my vert up another 5 inches I can dunk now but I can only try about 10 times a day without my legs in serious pain I’m 16 how long would it take to heal after basketball season if I stopped jumping

46. Rick Says:

And I can’t squat any wait it hurts too band and cant even push it up I’m just letting you know all the things that are wrong so you can help more also when I squat down and go up slow my knees make a horrible noise

47. Shushovan Says:

Hi im 14 years old, and the doctor said i have sprained a knee (patella) ligament, i think its jumpers knee and it was because of intense pylometric exercise. Its been like this for 4 months and it hurt when istraighten my leg when its in the air, i also cant jump with full potential. It doesnt hurt as much once i stretch and warm up, but its really irritating so please can someone help me and maybe give a routine that i should do for healing?

• Rob Says:

Hi Shushovan, Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another doctor, there´s probably nothing wrong with your knee but if its still hurting when you straighten it it might be better to get it checked out by a physical therapist just to make sure. There will be a course to follow very soon on this website. cheers Rob

48. logan ryall Says:

Hi I have a bump below the knee cap and it only hurts when I touch it? I race motocross too

• Rob Says:

That may be osgoood schlatters as this is when you get a tender to touch boney growth below the knee where the tendon attaches to the shin. If it continues to get worse I would get it checked by a medical professional. Its possible that with the motocross you are in a bent knee postion alot when racing and this may contribute to it… make sure you stretch well before and after racing. cheers Rob

49. kayla Says:

hey i have a problem with my knee its on my left knee below my knee cap and this pain is a on and off pain and it has been injured for 5 months i am a track runner i do hurdles so if anyone knows wat it might be please tell me thank you

• Rob Says:

Hey Kayla, difficult to say without examining your knee but it may be some kind of patellar tendinosis. Have you been to the doctor to check it out? Do you have any problems with your feet… too flat or too rigid? cheers Rob

50. kayla Says:

hey guys i have a major knee problem and i dont know whats wrong with it .. it has been injured for 5 months and its on my left knee at the bottom of my knee cap

Trackbacks/Pingbacks